Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
GEORGE TOWN, March 14 — Penang Gerakan is demanding the state government here declassify all documents for the three ongoing reclamation projects in the state.
Penang Gerakan Youth chief Jason Loo said the state government must do so to adhere to its own claims of transparency.
Loo applied under the state’s Freedom of Information (FOI) Act to view the documents of reclamation projects for Seri Tanjung Pinang 1 (STP1), Seri Tanjung Pinang 2 (STP2) and Gurney Wharf.
All three projects are interlinked and ongoing off the coast of Tanjung Tokong and Gurney Drive.
“I know the chief minister has said that the documentations for STP1 and STP2 have confidentiality clauses but I am trying now and hoping the state government can declassify it for the sake of the public,” he told a press conference today after submitting his application to buy copies the documents.
Previously, Loo applied more than a dozen times to buy copies of documents for various public projects under the FOI Act, but only managed to get approval for one: the affordable housing list.
“I will keep trying to buy these documents under the FOI because the public deserve to know about these projects,” he said.
He said there must be more transparency about these reclamation projects off Gurney Drive and Tanjung Tokong to be fair to the residents and also to the developers.
“We are not against development but we will definitely object to any non-transparent projects that abuse the interest of Penangites, the residents and the developers,” he added.
He challenged the state government to disclose the agreements for all three projects if it really has nothing to hide.
“I hope they will approve my application this time and they won’t ask me to sign a statutory declaration this time,” he said.