Construction for Malacca Gateway Port to start next year

Datuk Ab Aziz Kaprawi said this large investment from China here showed the confidence Chinese investors have for Malaysia. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa
Datuk Ab Aziz Kaprawi said this large investment from China here showed the confidence Chinese investors have for Malaysia. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa

GEORGE TOWN, Nov 8 — Work on the RM8 billion Malacca Gateway Port will commence in 2017, said Datuk Ab Aziz Kaprawi.

The deputy transport minister said Putrajaya has already approved the construction of the private port.

The port, located in Pulau Panjang off Malacca, is an investment from Guangzhou-based companies in a joint venture with a local Malaysian company, he added.

“The project is also supported by the Guangzhou province government,” he said.

Last month, local company KAJ Development Sdn Bhd signed a partnership with Shenzhen Yantian Port Group Co and Rizhao Port Group Co to develop the deep sea port.

The Chinese companies are among China’s top port operators.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, who attended the inaugural foundation laying ceremony of the port last month, reportedly said the port is set to attract 100,000 vessels annually once the project is completed in 2019.

Ab Aziz said this large investment from China here showed the confidence Chinese investors have for Malaysia.

He also said the port, located near Port Klang and Port of Tanjung Pelepas, will help meet rising demand.

“The existing ports are congested so this new port will be able to accommodate rising demands,” he said in a press conference after launching a ASPN Workshop on Safety of Dangerous Goods at Ports.

Ab Aziz said the workshop will come up with new  safety measures on the handling of dangerous goods at ports.

“This is so that we have proper guidelines to prevent any unwanted incidents like the one in Tianjin,” he said.

Related Articles