MP questions decision to release ‘mastermind’ of Najadi murder

File picture shows the temple near at the Jalan Ceylon carpark where the Hussain Najadi murder took place. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng
File picture shows the temple near at the Jalan Ceylon carpark where the Hussain Najadi murder took place. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 — DAP’s Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo today questioned the public prosecutor’s decision to release the so-called mastermind behind the murder of banking magnate Hussain Ahmad Najadi, claiming that it brings into question the effectiveness of Malaysia’s justice system.

He said it was unacceptable for the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) to decide against charging the suspect despite an in-depth probe by the police that lead to the mastermind’s arrest at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) sometime last month.

“The police handed over the investigation papers to the DPP (deputy public prosecutor). However, having studied the investigation papers, the DPP decided not to charge the main suspect,” Gobind said when debating Budget 2016.

“What has happened? The main suspect was arrested and released, with no action taken.

“Let me ask the prime minister’s department, how do we assure the citizens of this country that justice will prevail when they arrest main suspects in cases and just release (them) like that, no action?” he added.

Earlier today, news portal Malaysiakini reported that the alleged mastermind behind Hussain’s July 29, 2013 murder was released eight days after he was detained on his return from China in October, as there was “insufficient evidence” to charge him.

Kuala Lumpur CID chief Datuk Zainuddin Ahmad was quoted as saying by the news portal that the suspect was released after police conducted a thorough investigation and after the case was referred to the AGC.

It was reported that the suspected mastermind had paid Kong See Kwan RM20,000 to gun down Hussain, and that police had sought Interpol’s help to track down the suspect who had been on the run since then.

Hussain was assassinated on July 29 two years ago while his wife was seriously injured in the shooting, when they emerged from the Kuan Yin Temple in Lorong Ceylon.

Hussain, 75, who had Iranian citizenship and permanent Malaysian residency, was the chairman and chief executive of multi-billion dollar corporation AIAK Group.

He had established the Arab-Malaysian Development Bank in 1975, now known as AmBank.

Last September, the High Court found Kong guilty of murdering Hussain and sentenced the tow truck driver to death; the latter was also given an 18-years jail term for the attempted murder of the banker’s wife Mei Kuen.

You May Also Like

Related Articles