Construction sector third largest contributor to accident cases, minister says

Riot (right) said the construction sector saw 2,880 cases involving 55 deaths. — Bernama pic
Riot (right) said the construction sector saw 2,880 cases involving 55 deaths. — Bernama pic

PUTRAJAYA, March 1 — The construction sector is the third biggest contributor to the 31,943 accident cases referred to the Social Security Organisation (Socso) last year.

Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot said the construction sector saw 2,880 cases involving 55 deaths.

He said these statistics, especially those involving death, were very worrying because other than the human factor, it could result in the country losing the workforce, thus affecting development.

“The ministry wants the safety and health aspects in the construction sector to be improved and given priority because construction sites are categorised as dangerous zones, not just for the workers but also to people in surrounding areas,” he added.

Riot was speaking at a press conference after launching the Construction Industry Work Safety and Health Guideline (Management) 2017, in conjunction with his working visit to the Parcel F construction site here today.

Last year, he said 9,544 construction projects were checked, with punitive action taken in 12,825 cases. — Bernama