Malaysia’s Covid-19 cases drop slightly to 5,516 in last 24 hours

A visitor feeds a bird at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park following Kuala Lumpur’s move to Phase Four of the National Rehabilitation Plan on October 19, 2021. ― Picture by Hari Anggara
A visitor feeds a bird at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park following Kuala Lumpur’s move to Phase Four of the National Rehabilitation Plan on October 19, 2021. ― Picture by Hari Anggara

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 20 — The Ministry of Health (MoH) logged 5,516 new Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours.

The latest numbers represented a decrease of 229 cases compared to the new infections recorded yesterday.

This brings the total number of Covid-19 cases in the country, since the start of the pandemic, to 2,407,382.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah also disclosed that that only 102 or 1.8 per cent of the cases reported today were in categories 3, 4 and 5 that required hospitalisation, while the remaining 98.2 per cent were in categories 1 and 2.

“There are currently 669 patients being treated in intensive care units (ICU), of which 97 are suspected, probable or under investigation for Covid-19.

“Out of these 669, 333 need ventilators to help them breathe including 241 who are confirmed to be positive for Covid-19,” he said.

He added that four new clusters were also detected over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of active clusters in the country to 656.

“Of the four new clusters, three are related to workplaces, and one involving an education centre,” he said.

He said that Malaysia’s rate of infection currently stands at 0.88, with Putrajaya being the state with the highest infectivity rate, which stands at 1.03.

Labuan was the only state or federal territory in Malaysia to have a 0 infectivity rate.

* A previous version of this report incorrectly stated yesterday’s cases as 5,434. The error has since been corrected.

You May Also Like

Related Articles