Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
KUALA LUMPUR, May 29 — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has asked for evidence that over RM200 billion will possibly be lost if the KL-Singapore High-Speed Rail (HSR) project is called off.
The claim was made earlier by Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Dahlan, previously a minister in the Prime Minister’s Department who had overseen the inking of the mega project.
“Show the proof. When we said they had lost RM1 trillion, we have the papers, proof, documents, [to show] that we lost [the money],” said Dr Mahathir, referring to the total liabilities of the previous government.
“Don’t just simply talk; ask him to bring out the proof.”
Abdul Rahman had said that upon completion, the HSR would deliver RM4 billion of economic gain for Malaysia every year, and that the project would have contributed RM 209 billion of Gross National Income.
Meanwhile, Dr Mahathir said the Singapore government has yet to be informed of the decision.
“I made a statement to the press... but they will be informed,” said Dr Mahathir after attending a breaking fast event with the police force at Bukit Aman Mosque here.
Also present were Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun and his deputy Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim.
Yesterday, Dr Mahathir said Malaysia will be scrapping the high-speed rail link, which may incur the new government close to RM500 million in penalties.
The project, valued by analysts at about US$17 billion (RM67.8 billion), is out for tender and targeted for commercial operations in 2026.