Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
MUAR, March 21 — A multi-agency integrated search and rescue (SAR) operation, led by the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), is still ongoing for the remaining 14 male crew members, who are feared to have drowned in the waters off Parit Jawa, here.
The victims were earlier on board a marine sand dredge before it capsized at 8.50am, resulting in one crew drowned and three others rescued from the incident.
Two of the crew members were in hospital, while another was found injured in the incident’s location which was about 8.5 nautical miles off Parit Jawa in Muar.
MMEA Batu Pahat base director Maritime Lieutenant Commander Muhammad Zulkarnain Abdullah said the SAR efforts for the remainder 14 victims are still on-going.
“The Dominican-registered dredger JBB Rong Chang 8 had a total of 18 crew members on board.
“All the crew were male and comprised one Malaysian, an Indonesian and 16 Chinese nationals,” he said in an updated statement today.
Earlier, two MMEA patrol boats were despatched to the scene off Parit Jawa in Muar after receiving a distress call on the incident.
Meanwhile, Johor Health, Environment, Education and Information Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said the Muar district disaster committee under the Civil Defence Force was activated to assist the SAR.
“The team comprised of personnel and assets from the Civil Defence Force, police, the Fire and Rescue Department and also a doctor from the Sultanah Fatimah Specialist Hospital.
The SAR efforts started at 10.30am where the related agencies were briefed to assist MMEA,” he said.