Dr M: Jho Low’s arrest is fake news

Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad speaks during a press conference in Petaling Jaya July 20, 2018. — Picture by Firdaus Latif
Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad speaks during a press conference in Petaling Jaya July 20, 2018. — Picture by Firdaus Latif

PETALING JAYA, July 20 — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad described today the alleged arrest of fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, as fake news.

Speaking at a press conference at Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) headquarters here today, Dr Mahathir said he had not received any information on Low’s purported arrest in China.

“I have not received any information whatsoever. I believe the news of his arrest is one of those fake news,” he said.

News portal Sarawak Report reported on Wednesday that a radio station in Hong Kong published news on Low's arrest in China.

However, to date, even Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said the police have yet to receive any information on the matter and could not confirm the arrest.

Previously, Low's passport was revoked by the Immigration Department on June 15 following a request by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in connection with its investigation on the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal.

Related Articles