GEORGE TOWN, Nov 9 ― A total of 3,213 flood victims from 802 families are still seeking shelter at 26 relief centres in two districts in Penang as of this morning.
A spokesman for the police's flood operations room said the number had declined from 3,736 flood victims involving 936 families being placed at the relief centres last night.
“In the Seberang Perai Utara (SPU) district, a total of 2,528 people from 589 families are accommodated at 18 relief centres and 685 people from 213 families are placed at eight temporary relief centres in Seberang Perai Tengah (SPT) district,” he said today.
As of this morning, several areas are still submerged, including Lahar Yooi, Padang Menora, Nyior Sebatang and Air Melintas Besar following rain yesterday.
The weather in Penang is sunny this morning.
At present hundreds of volunteers are in Penang to help clean up the homes of residents affected by floods to enable them to return to their homes.
Most parts of Penang were hit by floods, described as the worst in the state’s history, since Saturday which had claimed seven lives so far. ― Bernama