KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 20 ― A Pakatan Harapan federal government would abolish toll collections on the North-South Expressways (PLUS), DAP said today.
DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said it was unnecessary to charge motorists any further to use the highway network as the cost of building it have been recovered.
“What I don't understand why toll must be paid on the North-South highway and the first Penang bridge when the construction costs have been reimbursed.
“By right, no one should pay the toll. If there is a change in government, the new government would abolish the north south toll,” he told reporters at a press conference at the Parliament lobby.
The Penang chief minister added that it was unjustified to claim that toll collections were needed to maintain the PLUS network, saying this could be funded using road tax revenue.
“They are collecting tolls to look after the cronies. It is more important than looking after the people,” Lim added.
Tolls at highways operated by 11 concessionaires were raised by varying amounts last week.
PLUS was not affected by the increase.