KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 5 ― The Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM) has decided not to join Pakatan Rakyat (PR) after not getting an answer from the federal opposition pact since applying for entry two years ago.

PSM secretary-general S. Arutchelvan said yesterday, however, that the party would still work with PR to oppose the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) in the next general election.

“PSM’s special internal discussion on November 2, 2014, has made the decision to cancel the intention to join Pakatan Rakyat (PR),” Arutchelvan said in a statement on his Facebook page yesterday.

Arutchelvan also noted that there were three-cornered fights in three out of the four seats contested by PSM in last year’s 13th general election, in which it was challenged by supposed allies from PR.

Advertisement

Umno won the Semenyih state seat in the May 5 polls in a three-cornered fight with PKR and PSM.

Arutchelvan also said since applying to join PR on September 13, 2012, the last communications PSM had received from PR was on August 1 last year, where the opposition pact comprising PKR, DAP and PAS had said PSM’s application was still under consideration and had asked if PSM supported PR’s Buku Jingga election manifesto.

“PSM has already expressed its support in PSM’s manifesto for the 13th general election and once again in a written reply dated August 8, 2013. However, until today, there has been no response from PR,” said Arutchelvan.

Advertisement

He added that PSM has decided to increase the number of federal and state seats it would contest in the 14th general election from the one federal and three state constituencies it contested in the past three elections.

“Our internal discussion has identified federal and state constituencies in five states where PSM has prospects in placing a candidate. However, this will be finalised after conducting a study at such constituencies,” said Arutchelvan.