KUALA LUMPUR, July 13 — Three senior local militants are reportedly setting up a Malaysian Islamic State (IS) cell, according to English-language daily The Star.
The Star report, quoting unnamed sources, said authorities believe the video postings threatening attacks in Malaysia alluded to Mohd Rafi Udin, Zainuri Kamaruddin and Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi’s intentions to head up a local IS network.
“The authorities believe that they are operating separately with their own activities,” the unnamed source told the daily.
“They are pushing the IS agenda through their own ways and means.”
The daily also reported in a separate article that Muhammad Wanndy had personally threatened Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter-Terrorism Division head Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ayob Khan with a death threat over the phone.
“They are regarding us as supportive of thagut and want to attack us first followed by the non-Muslims in the country,” he was quoted saying.
“Thagut” is an Islamic term to refer to, among others, those who change the laws of Allah.
SAC Ayob is reportedly among several Malaysian leaders including the Insperctor-General of Police, who are being targeted by regional IS terrorist groups.
The report further quoted SAC Ayob as being unfazed by the death threat.
“We have managed to quell nine plots targeting certain institutions and public areas so far.
“This would be continued without fear of any parties linked to terror groups,” he was quoted saying by the daily.
In Malacca, English language daily New Straits Times reported that Melaka Tengah police chief Assistant Commissioner Shaikh Abdul Adzis Shaikh Abdullah said police are investigating the authenticity of a warning of attack there being spread on social media.
The bilingual message in Mandarin and English being circulated on WhatsApp and Facebook, warned that locations being targeted include Malacca's Jonker Street, Stadthuys, and several entertainment outlets in the city.
“So far, we have only received one report at the Tengkera police station from a cafe owner who had received a similar message via WhatsApp,” he was quoted telling the daily.
“I urge the public not to disseminate the message as the situation is under control.”