PETALING JAYA, March 1 — Police believe a territorial dispute between two gangs was what led to the death of a man on Sunday after a 2km chase that started from a confrontation at the Ol’Skool Bistro in Jalan Gasing.

A police source said initial investigations revealed the victim, who was a member of the notorious Gang 04, was targeted by another rival gang that wanted to take over a certain area here.

“The dispute between the victim and the rival gang members came about over the control of areas for protection money. Investigations are underway to determine the exact area in question,” the source said.

Petaling Jaya police chief ACP Mohd Zani Che Din said following the incident, seven men, aged between 20 and 35, were picked up on the same day within Klang Valley.

“We are still conducting background checks on the suspects and some of them have records for various criminal offences,” he said.

Zani said no weapons were seized from the suspects.

They were remanded yesterday for seven days to assist in investigations into the murder.

“A manhunt for the remaining suspects is ongoing,” he said.

In the 4.30am incident, Paramanathan Sabramaniam, 36, and B. Jeevanathan, 24, were chased by 12 assailants in four cars to Jalan Utara where they were attacked with sharp objects.

Paramanathan, also known as Suresh Bunga as he worked as a florist, was slashed four times and died from injuries to his head and stomach.

Jeevanathan, who sustained injuries to his hand, managed to run to a nearby hotel.

The duo allegedly tried to outrun the group after an argument broke out between the victims and suspects at the bistro.

Paramanathan was found dead in a pool of blood on the road between the Sri Petaling primary school and Bukit Bintang secondary school.

Paramanathan’s body was sent to University Malaya Medical Centre for a post-mortem and was claimed by his family yesterday.

He had a criminal record for voluntarily causing grievous hurt using a dangerous weapon and for rioting.

Jeevanathan has been moved to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Klang for further medical treatment with police recording his statement yesterday. 

Police also recorded a statement from a security guard at the Bukit Bintang secondary school who witnessed the incident and the passerby who alerted police on the incident.