PUTRAJAYA, April 30 — Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today filed an application with the Federal Court to review his recent sodomy conviction and five-year jail sentence, in yet another attempt to exonerate himself after failing to secure a royal pardon earlier.
Anwar’s lawyer N. Surendran said that an application was filed this morning to seek a fresh panel of judges at the Federal Court to review its previous decision.
“The reason is grave miscarriage of justice in the first decision,” he told reporters here when explaining the grounds of the review bid filed under Rule 137 of the Rules of Federal Court 1995.
"The court has powers to review its own decision when there has been injustice," the PKR vice-president added, also arguing later that the Anwar was wrongly imprisoned.
PKR vice-president Nurul Izzah Anwar, who was also present, maintained the PKR de-facto leader’s innocence and said he is a political prisoner.
"That is the sentiment of the family: 'We will never surrender'," Anwar eldest daughter said, noting that the family will not give up on seeking his release through existing legal avenues, despite hardships such as only being allowed monthly visits to the 68-year-old.
On February 10, the Federal Court sentenced Anwar to five years’ jail when it upheld the Court of Appeal’s 2014 ruling that had reversed Anwar’s acquittal of sodomising former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan.
With the sodomy conviction, Anwar was barred from appearing in Parliament and was disqualified as a federal lawmaker.
According to the application today sighted by reporters, Anwar wants both the Federal Court and Court of Appeal's decision against him to be set aside.
Alternatively, Anwar wants to have his appeal against the Court of Appeal's conviction reheard on its merits.
In the same court document, Anwar stated two grounds for his review bid, including his view that the Court of Appeal's March 7, 2014 decision to convict him ought to be set aside "to prevent injustice".
Anwar also said the Federal Court's judgement had been rendered "objectively unsafe" by both the Prime Minister's Office's statement on the same day of the apex court's decision and the conduct of the lead prosecutor after the ruling.