KUALA LUMPUR, July 8 — Police believe a fight among a group of friends at Destiny Club in Publika triggered Wednesday’s parang attack that resulted in two deaths.
Sentul police chief ACP R. Munusamy said six men fought among themselves in the club last week, resulting in their expulsion by bouncers.
The management later lodged a police report against three men who started the brawl. Two of them were arrested and charged while the other went on the run, he said.
“We believe the group returned on Wednesday to attack the management because of the police report,” he said.
A car jockey and cashier of the club were slashed to death outside Destiny Club while another unidentified victim is in critical condition after they were attacked by a mob wearing ski masks and armed with machetes.
Another patron said two of his fingers were severed as he tried to escape (see accompanying story). It remains unclear if there were more victims who suffered injuries following the attack.
This is not the first murder involving the club. On February 8, one N. Asok Kumar, 30, got into a fight there.
He was severely beaten in front of a convenience store near the club and was later dropped off in Brickfields. Asok was rushed to Kuala Lumpur Hospital but died about an hour later.
Closed circuit television footage from outside the club showed a group of masked parang-wielding men alighting from two cars at about 11pm.
A few of the assailants immediately attacked S. Mogan, 21, who was manning the car jockey service counter while the others went into the club, that was filled with people watching a “Dance Floor Queen Battle” performance.
The armed men attacked cashier R. Mythurai, 23, chopping off her right hand. She later died at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.
The third victim, identified only as Allen, was also slashed. Bernama later quoted Munusamy as saying Allen was the club’s disc jockey.
A police source said there were no CCTV cameras inside the club, adding that police arrested six suspects, aged between 21 and 29, at about 2am.
The nation has seen a rash of chilling violent attacks over the past two weeks. They include:
June 15: A businessman died after six out of 10 shots fired by a gunman struck him at the Sungai Rasau toll plaza in Selangor as he was travelling home to Kajang. Police said the man had no known enemies and are still determining the motive for the murder.
June 21: Two brothers, who were car repossessors, were shot by an unknown assailant as they waited at an intersection in Sunway Batu Caves. They were shot after they had repossessed a car outside a budget hotel in Batu Caves and police said the motive of the attack was most likely revenge.
June 21: Miri PKR branch secretary Bill Kayong was shot dead by an unidentified person at a traffic light junction in Miri. Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said the motive for the murder would not be made public until the trial of the accused.
June 28: A hand grenade exploded at the Movida Kitchen, Bar & Club Lounge in Puchong IOI Boulevard, injuring eight patrons. Inspector-general of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed the attack was the first by Islamic State in Malaysia.
June 29: A manager survived six gunshots fired by unidentified motorcyclists at Km3.5 of the Kuala Lumpur-Seremban highway as he was travelling to work in Bandar Sri Damansara. Police said the man had received threats in the past related to his lover.
June 29: One of the suspected perpetrators of the Batu Caves shooting was shot dead by police at USJ 11, Subang Jaya after he drew his gun when police approached his vehicle. The suspect was involved in 12 robbery cases and five drug offences, among others.
June 29: A food delivery man who was believed to have been drinking at a playground at SS3, Petaling Jaya, was brutally slashed to death. Police are still determining the motive for the murder.
July 4: A 42-year-old woman and her three children escaped injury when a gunman fired 12 shots at their house in Taman Bukit Desa, Seremban.