KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 22 — The Independent Police Conduct Commission (IPCC) will be in force starting July 1, 2023, the Home Ministry said.

In a Parliamentary written reply, the ministry said it is waiting for the approval of staffing and allocation from the central agency for the establishment of the commission.

This was in response to DAP Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng’s question on the status of the establishment of the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC).

It has been close to two decades since the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) recommended the setting up of the IPCMC but it is still nowhere near to becoming a reality.


The closest it came to fruition was when the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government tabled the IPCMC Bill in 2019.

It however received criticisms due to the lack of consultation with relevant parties, sending the Bill for review by a Parliamentary select committee (PSC).

The Bill was later replaced when Perikatan Nasional (PN) took the government, with the Independent Police Conduct Commission Bill.


Lim had also asked about the implementation status of body cameras to be worn by the police, how many units have been procured, the model type and cost of each unit.

The Home Ministry said it has plans to purchase 7,648 units of Body Worn Camera (BWC) with an estimation of RM2,000 to RM2,500 per unit.

In December last year, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail announced that the government has allocated a budget of RM30 million for the purchase of body cameras for the police.

He said the body cameras have been deemed a “necessity” but added that its acquisition will follow the due procurement process.

Prior to that, in 2021, the previous government had approved an allocation of RM30 million under the 12th Malaysia Plan to purchase body cameras for the police.

On January 31, Lim raised the issue following a raid at an underground music gig in George Town, Penang, that purportedly did not have an entertainment licence.

During the raid, four people were arrested. However, three were detained for filming the police raid.

The three were told by police that photographing raids was not allowed and asked them to delete the photos. They were eventually released, an hour after they were arrested.