KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 21 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today called off the New Year’s Eve celebration at Dataran Merdeka, as the country comes to terms with recent floods.
This decision was made during the Cabinet meeting today, he said.
"In a bit, I will be heading to Kelantan and flood-related matters will be announced there after taking into account several suggestions from the ground and the state government.
"There are also views given by voluntary bodies and non-governmental organisations (NGO) in terms of aid and welfare.
"There will also be major involvement from the military personnel and several facilities will be made available for this purpose,” Anwar told a press conference after chairing the Cabinet meeting in Putrajaya.
As of yesterday, 66,718 flood victims were still housed at temporary relief centres in five states, with Terengganu and Kelantan continuing to record a rise in the number of victims.
Terengganu seems to be the worst hit so far, with 46 roads in four districts in the state still closed due to floods since December 17.
Last year, the 2022 New Year celebrations were also cancelled and replaced with Islamic worship events as a sign of respect and sympathy for flood victims in several states in Malaysia.