Another massive jump as Malaysia records 13,215 Covid-19 cases in one day

A DBKL staff is seen conducting sanitisation work in Wangsa Maju July 6, 2021. — Picture by Hari Anggara
A DBKL staff is seen conducting sanitisation work in Wangsa Maju July 6, 2021. — Picture by Hari Anggara

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 — Malaysia hit another fresh high in the number of Covid-19 cases nationwide, with a staggering 13,215 cases recorded in the last 24-hour period.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah tweeted the numbers, in which Selangor led with 6,120 cases, followed by Negri Sembilan with 1,603 cases and the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur with 1,499 cases.

 

 

Kedah reported 695 cases, followed by Johor (599), Penang (509), Melaka (484), Sabah (370), Sarawak (363), Perak (344) and Kelantan (255).

Pahang recorded 222 cases, followed by Terengganu (70), Putrajaya (53), Federal Territory of Labuan (26) and Perlis (3)

Two days ago, Malaysia saw a spike in Covid-19 infections with a record high of 11,079 new infections in a single day.

Selangor recorded 5,263 cases alone while Kuala Lumpur racked up 1,521 and Negri Sembilan had 1,033.

According to Dr Noor Hisham, the high numbers are the result of targeted testing at factories and other work places which are allowed to operate during the enhanced movement control order (EMCO).

Dr Noor Hisham also said 85 per cent of the new cases comprised Category 1 (asymptomatic) and 2 patients (mild symptoms). The remaining 15 per cent were in Categories 3, 4 and 5, which are those considered to be more severe.

In a later news conference, he said there were 110 new deaths today comprising 95 Malaysians and 15 non-citizens.

Selangor had the highest death count at 45 followed by Kuala Lumpur (23) and Negri Sembilan (11).

Those in the single digits were Johor (seven), Pahang (five), Kedah and Sarawak (four each), Melaka and Kelantan (three each), Sabah (two).

Penang, Perak and Labuan also had one death each.

Dr Noor Hisham said 885 patients nationwide were in intensive care and that 432 needed ventilators.

Today’s recoveries amounted to 6,095.

Another 26 new clusters were recorded today.

Currently, there are 873 active Covid-19 clusters, while 2,295 clusters have ended.

 

Related Articles