KUALA LUMPUR, July 25 — A bomb threat made at the court complex here forced the building to be evacuated, disrupting ongoing hearings including Datuk Seri Najib Razak's corruption trial over RM42 million of SRC International funds.

After the threat was received at 12.30pm, authorities ordered an immediate clearout of the complex, with evacuees now assembled at the main entrance.

“Sentul district police received a call of the possibility of a bomb placed in the courthouse.

“Police are currently at the scene,” said a police source.


Sentul police chief Assistant Commissioner S. Shanmugamoorthy is already on site.

Shanmugamoorthy told reporters later that the Taman Tun Dr Ismail police station received an anonymous phone call from a man at about 11am.

“We couldn't recognise who he was. He didn’t introduce himself but relayed information, claiming a bomb was in court. That is all,” he said without elaborating further.


He said the police Bomb Disposal Unit and other experts are combing through the court now.

The public was allowed back into the court compound at about 2pm, after the authorities swept the area and found no explosives.

“The bomb squad and K-9 unit have scoured the area, checked strategic locations and along the perimeter including the interior where interesting cases are being heard or tried.

“We have not found anything wrong and at this point it is clear, and I am satisfied with the current situation,” Shanmugamoorthy said in a press conference.

He also said investigations were ongoing to track down the anonymous caller.

City Criminal Investigations Department chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Rusdi Mohd Isa later confirmed the alleged bomb threat was a hoax.

"Actions were taken and no explosives were found," he said in a brief statement here.

Najib, who is also Pekan MP, is currently on trial for alleged abuse of position, money-laundering and criminal breach of trust over RM42 million of funds from SRC International, which is a former subsidiary of 1Malaysia Development Berhad.

Najib's trial hearing resumes before High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali this afternoon.