KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The gunman who fired shots at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) last Sunday had planned to head to Mecca through Thailand, federal police said today after the suspect was taken to a Magistrate’s Court in Kota Baru, Kelantan.

Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation director Commissioner Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain told reporters in Kota Baru this morning that the suspect was found to have falsified identification documents of four other people when he was arrested yesterday.

“That was following the discovery of a sum of cash in riyal and baht that was seized from the suspect,” he was quoted as saying by Sinar Harian during a news conference at the Kelantan police contingent headquarters this morning.

He added that the suspect was also found to have undergone a health check at a private hospital there before the shooting incident.


Separately, The Star reported Mohd Shuhaily saying police are looking into the reasons for the medical check, including that it could be for visa application purposes.

“The suspect was caught in front of the same hospital on Monday. Based on our checks, the suspect came back from Saudi Arabia and landed in Bangkok last week. He then came to Kota Baru and went for a medical check-up.

“We believe he was coming to the hospital here prior to his arrest because he wanted to collect the medical report.


“It is however still premature for us to say for certain that it was for visa arrangements,” the senior policeman was quoted as saying by The Star.

Mohd Shuhaily said the suspect acted just before his arrest in front of the private hospital in Kota Baru yesterday, but added that police did not open fire to avoid involving passers-by.

“We checked his car and found that he had changed the number plates on the vehicle.

“We also found a Glock gun, with one round in the chamber and eight more in its magazine. We also seized a box containing 24 cartridges,” he was quoted as saying.

He said checks on the vehicle led to the seizure of several firecrackers of the type believed to have been used by the suspect at KLIA last Sunday.

“The suspect told us that he bought the firecrackers in Gombak,” he was quoted as saying.

He added that the suspect will be remanded for seven days and will be flown to Selangor today for further investigation by the state police.

Mohd Shuhaily said the gun would be sent for a ballistics and serviceability test to determine if it was the weapon used in the shooting.

He said among other items seized included four identity cards of other individuals.

“One of these identity cards is believed to have been used by the suspect to book a hotel room,” he was quoted as saying.

A sole gunman threw firecrackers before opening fire at the KLIA Terminal 1 arrival hall in Sepang, Selangor at about 1.30am on April 14.

His target was said to be his estranged wife who was waiting for the arrival of an umrah pilgrimage group.

One of the two bullets fired hit her personal bodyguard in the abdomen. His condition has been said to be critical.

Police are investigating the suspect for attempted murder under Section 307 of the Penal Code and Section 8 of the Firearms Act 1960 for unlawful possession of a weapon.