We’ll get to bottom of it, health minister vows after hospital sexual assault claims

Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad speaks to reporters at the Parliament lobby in Kuala Lumpur July 30, 2018. — Picture by Shafwan Zaidon
Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad speaks to reporters at the Parliament lobby in Kuala Lumpur July 30, 2018. — Picture by Shafwan Zaidon

KUALA LUMPUR, July 30 — The Health Ministry has started investigations into allegations that a hospital head of department is sexually preying on housemen.

Its minister Dzulkefly Ahmad added that he will be meeting his counterpart in the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail and her deputy Hannah Yeoh to discuss the matter.

“We will meet soon, today if I am not mistaken, to have a serious discussion concerning this issue, as we currently carrying out a detailed investigation to get to the bottom of the case,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby here.

Dzulkefly was responding to reports filed against an orthopaedics department head in a Klang Valley public hospital alleged to have sexually harassed and made sexual advances against young house officers.

“It is not something we are unaware about, but at this point there has yet to be any action taken on it.

“We are looking to send a very stern warning against all of this toxic behaviour and culture,” he said.

The report detailed how a houseman was constantly coerced by the department head into joining him for drinks after working hours.

It reported how other female houseman students were also targeted by the suspect, who would threaten to fail the students should they not heed his orders.

Dzulkefly had on a tweet on Sunday vowed that the health ministry would get to the bottom of the case.

However, he refused to elaborate when pressed if the suspect had been identified.