Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
PUTRAJAYA, May 16 — Beginning next month, residents who fail to separate their household wastes will face legal action, says Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan.
He said owners of landed property would face a compound fine of RM50 for the first offence, RM100 for the second and RM500 for subsequent offences.
In the case of high-rise premises, the compounds which will be imposed on the joint management body are RM100 for the first offence, RM200 and RM500 for the second and third offences.
“This is part of the Local Authorities Transformation Plan laid out by the ministry to create a more conducive, sustainable and harmonious life for the community,” Abdul Rahman said in his speech at the ministry’s monthly gathering here today.
The text of his speech was read out by his deputy, Datuk Halimah Mohamed Sadique.
Beginning Sept 1, last year, the ministry enforced Act 672 of the Solid Waste and Public Cleansing Management Act 2007 which makes it compulsory for residents to separate their solid wastes according to categories of paper, plastics and others.
The states affected by this ruling are the Kuala Lumpur Federal Territory, Putrajaya, Pahang, Johor, Malacca, Negri Sembilan, Perlis and Kedah. — Bernama