KUALA LUMPUR, July 23 ― Malaysians cannot yet assume that the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) controversy is on its way to any form of resolution just because two arrests have been made, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said.
The jailed PKR leader said the public must remain skeptical of the ongoing probe on the debt-laden state investor, at least until action is taken against the “primary actors” of the scandal.
“There must be resolute action, to restore public and investor confidence; no stone must be left unturned. No one, no matter how high up, must be let off,” he said in a message through his lawyers.
He said local authorities should work with international organisations like the Interpol in order to apprehend those responsible for 1MDB's troubles, pointing out that some key players do not reside in Malaysia.
Anwar said apart from international embarrassment, the country also stands to lose billions of ringgit because of the administration's alleged missteps in the running of 1MDB.
This, he said, affects the financial well-being of every Malaysian.
“Although a couple of arrests have now been made, it is reasonable for the public to remain skeptical, until action is taken against the primary actors in this scandal,” he said.
So far, two individuals have been nabbed and remanded over their alleged links to the 1MDB scandal ― the managing director of Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd and a board member of a construction firm linked to SRC International.
The former, a 54-year-old man, was picked up on Tuesday at The Curve while the latter, a 39-year-old man, was arrested earlier the same day at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2.