Transgender's mum: Why would anyone do this?

Mariayee shows a picture of Sameera on a handphone yesterday. — Picture by Farhan Najib
Mariayee shows a picture of Sameera on a handphone yesterday. — Picture by Farhan Najib

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

KARAK, Feb 27 — M. Mariayee recalled the telephone conversation on Thursday morning when her 34-year-old daughter Amutha informed her of the tragedy that had befallen the family.

The 54-year-old related to Malay Mail the events which unfolded following the gruesome murder of her youngest child Sameera Krishman.

The 26-year-old Sameera, the youngest of four siblings, was murdered in a pre-dawn attack in Kuantan on Thursday.

Sameera was slashed repeatedly. Four fingers were severed when she tried to ward off the attack. She was also shot in the back, head, and buttocks.

Police are investigating if there were single or multiple attackers.

Mariayee, a mother of four, disclosed how the family accepted had Sameera, a florist, as a transgender.

“She was jovial, soft-spoken and well-liked by her siblings and the rest of the family,” Mariayee  said at her two-room home in Ladang Sungai Pertang, a rubber estate in Karak, yesterday.

“She was different but we accepted her for who she was and the changes she underwent.

“We respected her decision and was always there to support her. After her brutal murder, they (the media) labelled her with all sorts of things. This hurt the family, relatives and friends.

“Can anyone blame my son for lashing out at the media and turning down their interviews?

“My brother Allgesan and his son took me to the mortuary to identify the body. I was devastated and shocked to see my child in that condition. It was difficult to identify her.

“Why would anyone want to do this to her? Only a mother can understand my anguish.”

After the body was claimed, the pre-funeral rites were performed.

Mariayee said Sameera grew up in Karak, and left town when she turned 19.

“She left home and I could sense what she was going through ... the family knew. There was no hatred, no disgust.”

Later, the family learnt that Sameera left for Klang where she stayed with friends.

“She telephoned regularly and kept us informed of her well-being. Sometimes she would visit.”

Those visits were precious for the family as they had meals together and they even watched movies at the cinema.

“Sameeera last spoke to me on my birthday last month and reminded me of hers. Coincidentally, her birthday fell on the same day we held the cremation.”

The day after the cremation the family home remained blanketed with grief and sorrow as burning incense placed in front of Sameera’s photograph filled the air.

“She was good natured, God fearing, and always respected the elders,” Allgesan said.

“The last time I met her was in December during her visit here. We had a long chat about her work in Kuantan and she seemed happy.”

He said he did not know why anyone would want to hurt Sameera.

“I am devastated over the loss of my niece. The manner she was murdered was so brutal. I hope the people involved will be brought to justice,” added the 56-year old lorry driver.

Police remain tight-lipped over the incident.

Kuantan police chief Assistant Commissioner Aziz Salleh told Malay Mail: “We have several leads.”

You May Also Like

Related Articles