KUCHING, Aug 21 — A TikToker is being investigated after uploading a video showing a man allegedly disrespecting Sarawak by deliberately stepping on the Ibu Pertiwi flag.
Kuching police chief ACP Alexson Naga Chabu said the district police headquarters has received two reports regarding the incident.
“Initial investigation found that the five-second video was uploaded by the TikTok account user and was shared by several other social media accounts.
“The case is being investigated under Section 504 of the Penal Code for intentional insults meant to provoke a breach of the peace – which provides for imprisonment of up to two years, or a fine, or both if convicted,” he said in a statement.
The case is also being investigated under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for the misuse of network facilities and services to transmit online content deemed obscene, menacing, offensive, indecent, or false.
The Section provides for a maximum fine of RM50,000, or a year in prison, or both upon conviction.
Alexson advised the public not to take actions that could disrupt the peace, provoke, or incite public anger and unrest.
Those with further information on the incident can contact the Kuching District Police Headquarters on 082-244444.
The TikToker allegedly uploaded similar content previously before deleting it several hours later.
He is said to be no stranger to controversy, having reportedly harassed cosplayers at anime events
It is understood that the man is disabled. — The Borneo Post