KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 19 — Police believe a personal grudge was behind an incident in which a man allegedly poured petrol on a woman and set her alight at a lottery outlet in Taman Pusat Kepong on August 9.

Kuala Lumpur police chief Comm Datuk Fadil Marsus said this when confirming details of the case, according to a report by The Star.

He said officers arrested a 59-year-old local man in Kepong yesterday to assist investigations.

Comm Fadil said initial findings indicated that “the motive was a personal grudge linked to lottery numbers,” adding that the suspect and victim were not related but knew each other.

“We will apply for a remand order against the suspect today to assist in investigations,” he added.

He said the victim, a 62-year-old counter attendant, suffered burns to about 50 per cent of her body and remains hospitalised under sedation.

He said police received a call at about 8am on the day of the incident reporting that a woman had been attacked by an unidentified man, as previously stated by Acting Sentul OCPD Supt Jasni Zolpa.

He said the case remains under investigation.