Dr M explains why Putrajaya snubbed RM100m donation to Tabung Harapan

Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad speaks during a press conference in Kuala Lumpur October 30, 2018. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad speaks during a press conference in Kuala Lumpur October 30, 2018. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.


KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 30 — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad disclosed today that his administration rejected a company’s offer of RM100 million for Tabung Harapan Malaysia as it suspected corrupt motives.

The unnamed firm was also one with a spotty track record, which Dr Mahathir said fuelled suspicions that it was hoping to curry favour in the hopes of swaying federal policy-making in the future.

“We were offered a RM100 million donation to the fund and we felt this company actually has some problems and that they are trying to influence the government.

“So we rejected (the donation),” he said during the Anti-Corruption Summit 2018 this morning.

Dr Mahathir was responding to questions after reiterating in his speech that his government had rejected the attempted donation.

He also explained how there were other parties that made donations which were still accepted by the government.

“There were a lot of other people who made donations in small amounts which were accepted.

“There was only one incident,” he added when asked if similar offers of huge sums had been offered by other companies to the government.

Related Articles