Transport minister: No plan to scrap feeder buses, Grab just to complement

Transport Minister Anthony Loke speaks to the media at the Parliament in Kuala Lumpur October 17, 2018. — Picture by Mukhriz Hazim
Transport Minister Anthony Loke speaks to the media at the Parliament in Kuala Lumpur October 17, 2018. — Picture by Mukhriz Hazim

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.


KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 17 — The federal government does not plan to replace feeder buses with ride-hailing car services like Grab, Anthony Loke said today.

The transport minister clarified that the use of Grab cars was just a suggestion from Tony Pua, who is political secretary to Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng, as an additional service.

“This is just a proposal that came from Tony to complement [the service]. As far as the ministry is concerned, we have no plan to scrap feeder bus services.

“We want to integrate it with other bus services and we hope we can roll out the multi-bus [service] soon,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby here.

The Seremban MP said he has yet to meet with the e-hailing services to discuss the matter, but said his political secretary is engaging with associations linked to the ministry on how to improve the public transportation services.

“We have good relationships with some of the associations and we are also encouraging them to adopt e-hailing services.

“One particular association is also developing a system and application for airport taxis, which I will be launching soon,” said Loke without elaborating further on the details.

Last week, Pua had said that Putrajaya will look into pursuing public-private partnerships in government projects, particularly those involving infrastructure and public transport spending.

This includes having Grab to provide complementary transport services to commuters of public transport, such as the Mass Rapid Trasit (MRT).

Related Articles