KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 28 — The federal government discontinued the Kuala Lumpur-Klang Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project due to redundancies with the LRT3 line that is already under construction, said Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.
Putrajaya announced last week the cancellation of the RM2 billion BRT project that would have run parallel with the Federal Highway.
“After a detailed study, the government found that the BRT would overlap with LRT3 and both projects can't be constructed at the same time,” the minister in the Prime Minister’s Department told the Dewan Rakyat during Minister's Question Time today.
The LRT3, which will cost the government RM9 billion, was launched last year and is expected to start operating in August 2020.
“It is more rewarding in terms of long term investment for us to build the LRT instead of BRT,” she said.
Nancy was responding to a question from Ong Kian Ming (DAP-Serdang) who had asked for the reasons behind Putrajaya's decision to shelve the project.
She also said the decision to scrap BRT had nothing to do with the Mass Rapid Transit construction.