Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 22 — Police deployed tactical personnel at Hospital Kuala Lumpur after they found signs of attempted intrusions into the morgue where the body of Kim Jong-nam is being kept, the Inspector-General of Police revealed today.
Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the special forces members were also guarding the mortuary against a rumoured attempt to raid the location.
“We knew there were attempts by someone to break into the hospital mortuary. We had to take precautions. We will not allow anyone to tamper with the mortuary,” he told reporters at a press conference today.
Khalid declined, however, to state the identity of the perpetrator, but confirmed that their identities were known.
“We know who they are. There is no need for me to tell you,” Khalid added.
Police deployed teams of heavily-armed special forces members to the hospital yesterday, and the security detail has remained since.
The IGP also brushed off rumours that the body has been collected by Kim’s family, saying instead that they were still awaiting DNA samples for positive identification.
It was previously claimed that Kim’s son, Han-sol, was coming to Malaysia to claim the remains.
“Those are all rumours, no such thing. No family members have come over to identify the deceased and give us DNA samples,” Khalid said.
Khalid then said Bukit Aman will seek assistance from the North Korean embassy here to contact Kim's family and obtain the DNA samples.
Jong-nam was attacked by two women at KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) on February 13 while waiting for a flight to Macau. He died on the way to hospital.
Police have so far arrested four people including three foreigners over the killing.