SINGAPORE, Aug 20 — A 35-year-old man was reportedly sentenced to 21 months’ jail today after pleading guilty to causing grievous hurt to his elderly father during a dispute over rental income.

The Straits Times reported that Teo Yao Zhong repeatedly struck his then 72-year-old father with a remote control and stomped on his chest at their home shortly before midnight on January 19, 2023.

According to the report, the assault left the older man, now 75, with fractured ribs and a scalp laceration.

The court was reportedly told that Teo’s father had rented out a room in their unit to supplement his income but did not share the money with his son.

Teo was said to have become angry and thrown household items around the home before attacking his father when the latter tried to intervene.

The report said the older man attempted to shield himself but tripped over items scattered on the floor and fell.

Teo then reportedly stomped on his father’s chest as he lay on the floor and tried to push his son away.

His father was said to have escaped, called the police and waited for officers at the void deck before being taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Teo reportedly remained aggressive when officers entered the unit and continued throwing items, including a large television, despite repeated warnings.

The Straits Times also reported that Teo unsuccessfully sought an adjournment at the start of today’s hearing saying he needed more time to clean his room, telling Deputy Principal District Judge Ong Chin Rhu that it had been too messy for him to finish earlier.

In mitigation, the unrepresented Teo was quoted as saying: “I cannot really recall what happened that day, but I’m accepting what I’ve done wrong and I have nothing further to say.”