KOTA BHARU, Aug 23 — Police are looking into a possible sexual offence involving a 15-year-old girl who was found unconscious by the roadside in Machang on August 20, after she allegedly fled from a man who told her to remove her clothes.

Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said the girl had run away from home before meeting the unidentified motorcyclist and accepting a ride from him, Harian Metro reported today.

“The victim got on the motorcycle before the man told her to take off her clothes,” he told a press conference at the Kelantan police headquarters here.

He said the girl became frightened and fled but later fell unconscious by the roadside where she was subsequently found by passersby and taken to the hospital for a check-up.

Mohd Yusoff said a medical examination found no evidence of rape, but police were concerned that an attempted sexual offence may have occurred.

“I have asked the Machang district police chief to open an investigation paper under the Sexual Offences Against Children Act,” he was quoted as saying.

The latest development follows an earlier denial by Machang police that the girl had been dumped or abandoned by someone along Jalan Kemuning on August 20.

Machang district police chief Superintendent Azuhar Md Nor had said the girl was found in a weak condition by the roadside and taken to hospital, where she was later reported to be stable.

He said initial investigations found no basis to claim that she had been dumped or abandoned as alleged on social media, as the girl had left home without her family’s permission.

Azuhar said she had then accepted a ride from an unidentified motorcyclist, who later left her by the roadside.