KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 17 — Malaysia incurs up to RM30 billion in socio-economic losses each year due to road accidents, said Works Minister Dato Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi.
He said the figure was based on the economic value of the risks associated with fatalities, including loss of productivity and income, treatment costs, as well as the impact on families and society.
“However, despite all these calculations, the loss of life still cannot be valued in ringgit,” he said in a post on X today.
Nanta said the findings on the socio-economic impact of road accidents were presented at the Cabinet Committee on Road Safety and Congestion meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
He said that last year alone, road accidents claimed 6,537 lives, equivalent to an average of 18 deaths a day.
Nanta said what was particularly worrying was that 80.6 per cent of accidents were attributed to human factors.
“This shows that road safety is not the responsibility of a single ministry alone. It requires a comprehensive approach encompassing education, enforcement, technology and safer infrastructure.
“In this regard, the Works Ministry’s (KKR) position is clear. We do not want to merely repair roads after accidents occur. We want to build and maintain safer roads that reduce risks and minimise human error,” he said.
Nanta added that the RM30 billion figure was more than an economic cost, as it reflected the wide-ranging impact of road tragedies on families and society.
“The greatest loss is the loss of loved ones. We must not regard 18 deaths a day as normal. Every life saved is a victory for the people,” he said. — Bernama