KUALA LUMPUR, June 27 — Pakatan Harapan (PH) will give way to Barisan Nasional (BN) to contest more seats in the upcoming Kelantan and Terengganu state elections, according to PKR vice-president Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad.
He said that the two coalitions — that have joined up to form the federal government — had agreed that BN would get to contest the lion’s share of seats as it is more established on the peninsula east coast, Berita Harian reported today.
“In Kelantan and Terengganu, we have already announced from the beginning for the two states... We give priority to BN to contest more seats as they have a long history and grassroots there.
“But we have our own role and strategy for our seats there... that we feel can be won in both states,” he was quoted telling reporters in Shah Alam, Selangor last night when asked about the seat distribution for the PH-BN alliance.
Nik Nazmi who is also PKR chairman of both Kelantan and Terengganu said negotiations between PH and BN were 99 per cent complete, and the final list will be announced by PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim who is also prime minister.
He was also asked to comment on yesterday’s announcement by Muar MP Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman that Muda, a party that had been friendly to PH even before GE15 last November, would be going solo in the elections for the six states.
Nik Nazmi reportedly declined to comment, saying it was too early to do so at this point.
Apart from Kelantan and Terengganu, the four states that must hold elections this year are Selangor, Penang, Negeri Sembilan, and Kedah.
So far, Kelantan and Selangor have dissolved their state assemblies on last Thursday and last Friday respectively.
Kedah and Penang are expected to dissolve their state legislature tomorrow and Negeri Sembilan on Friday.