Malaysia records slight uptick in Covid-19 cases with 6,377 new infections

People are seen wearing protective masks as they walk along the Bukit Bintang shopping area in Kuala Lumpur on October 9, 2021. — Picture by Firdaus Latif
People are seen wearing protective masks as they walk along the Bukit Bintang shopping area in Kuala Lumpur on October 9, 2021. — Picture by Firdaus Latif

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 28 — The Ministry of Health (MoH) logged another 6,477 new Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours.

The latest numbers represented an increase of 229 cases compared to the new infections recorded yesterday.

This brings the total number of Covid-19 cases in the country, since the start of the pandemic, to 2,454,749.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah also disclosed that that only 101 or 1.6 per cent of the cases reported today were in categories 3, 4 and 5 that required hospitalisation, while the remaining 98.4 per cent were in categories 1 and 2.

“There are currently 564 patients being treated in intensive care units (ICU), of which 64 are suspected, probable or under investigation for Covid-19.

“Out of these 564, 294 need ventilators to help them breathe including 207 who are confirmed to be positive for Covid-19,” he said.

He added that eight new clusters were also detected over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of active clusters in the country to 474.

“Of the eight new clusters, five were related to workplaces, while one each was found spreading within a community, a high risk group and an education centre,” he said.

He said that Malaysia’s rate of infection currently stands at 0.94, with Negri Sembilan being the state with the highest infectivity rate, at 1.02.

Labuan was the only state or federal territory in Malaysia to have a zero infectivity rate.

You May Also Like

Related Articles