KUALA LUMPUR, May 7 ― Bukit Bintang is set to become the second area here to be free of polystyrene food containers as Kuala Lumpur City Hall pursues its green city initiative.
City Hall planning executive director Datuk Mohd Najib Mohd said Satuday that the move would be implemented by the end of this year.
Dataran Merdeka was declared a prohibited area for polystyrene food containers in July last year.
“Polystyrene food containers are non-biodegradable, have an undesirable effect on the environment and complicate the management of solid waste,” he told reporters after launching the “Jom Bersih Bukit Bintang”, the 10th in a series of a cleanliness programmes.
About 800 people from various government and private sector agencies participated in the programme to clean up the Bukit Bintang area.
Mohd Najib said City Hall was working with other agencies to organise “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle” (3R) programmes to create awareness and educate city dwellers. ― Bernama