GEORGE TOWN, Aug 17 — Penang police obtained today a three-day remand order from the magistrate’s court for seven Malaysians and a Singaporean said to have participated at seaside sports festival in their birthday suits.
Southwest district police chief Superintendant Lai Fah Hin said the seven Malaysians included two permanent residents (PR) of Singapore.
One of the two PRs was Albert Yam, said to have uploaded a video recording of the controversial games which took place on a secluded beach at the Penang National Park.
Lai said all eight turned themselves in, with the last, a Malaysian woman, turning up earlier this afternoon for investigation under Section 509 of the Penal Code.
The suspects are in remand until August 19, the policeman said, declining to provide further information for the moment.
Prior to Yam’s surrender, six people who took part in the Penang nude beach sports festival turned themselves in, including a former Gerakan woman politician from Kedah, Chew Tok Hwa, said to have organised the event .
A video clip showing some 18 people participating in events like body painting and outdoor activities went viral recently, leading to a huge uproar.
The event is believed to be held on May 31 this year at a secluded beach in Teluk Kampi at the park in Teluk Bahang here.
Penang police chief Datuk Wira Abdul Rahim Hanafi told a news conference the same group had organised another nudist event at a durian orchard in Balik Pulau the next day.
Seven out of 18 people are Malaysians with four Singaporeans, two Myanmar nationals and one each from the Philippines and India.
The case is being investigated under Section 509 of the Penal Code for gestures intended to insult the modesty of a person which carries a jail sentence of up to five years or fine or both upon conviction.