World
Canberra joins Australia’s gun buyback scheme after 2025 Bondi massacre
Court photos show father and son gunmen Sajid and Naveed Akram shooting and killed 15 people celebrating Hanukkah at Archer Park in Bondi Beach, Sydney on December 14, 2025. Australia has started a gun buyback scheme after the massacre. — New South Wales Courts handout pic via AFP

CANBERRA, Aug 22 — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday that the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), which includes Canberra, will join a gun buyback scheme in response to December’s fatal mass shooting at Bondi Beach, reported Xinhua.

Albanese said in a statement that the ACT has agreed to introduce a gun buyback scheme as part of a push to strengthen Australia’s firearm laws.

The federal government introduced legislation for the gun buyback scheme in January after 15 people were killed at a Jewish festival at the iconic Sydney beach on Dec 14, 2025, in Australia’s deadliest mass shooting since 1996.

The ACT government initially committed to joining the scheme but had remained in negotiations with the federal government over how it would be funded.

Under the final agreement, the federal government will fund 75 per cent of the buyback and administrative costs and 100 per cent of firearm destruction costs.

“National gun reform is an important part of making sure an antisemitic terrorist attack like the one we saw at Bondi can’t happen again,” Albanese said.

“I thank the ACT government for its collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians.”

This makes the ACT the second of Australia’s eight states and territories to join the buyback, after the east coast state of New South Wales (NSW) did so earlier in August.

Albanese said that there are currently around 23,000 firearms in the ACT and more than 7,000 people with firearms licences.

The NSW government said it will pay up to A$1,000 (US$717; RM2,892) for guns that are handed in during the first phase of its buyback, which begins on Nov 2, and up to A$10,000 (US$7,170; RM28,916) for higher-value firearms handed in during the second phase, starting in early 2027. — Bernama-Xinhua

 

Related Articles

 

You May Also Like