Malaysia
Four, including ex‑native affairs officer and civil servant, held in Keningau over RM900,000 land‑sale bribery case
The remand order, which runs until August 27, was issued by Magistrate Flavian Edward Henry at the Magistrate’s Court in Keningau today following an application by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Sabah. — Picture by Choo Choy May

KENINGAU, Aug 20 — Four individuals, including a former native affairs officer and a civil servant, have been remanded for seven days to assist investigations into a land sale syndicate involving about RM900,000 in bribes.

The remand order, which runs until August 27, was issued by Magistrate Flavian Edward Henry at the Magistrate’s Court here today following an application by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Sabah.

A source said the former native affairs officer and civil servant were believed to have received bribes from two land brokers to facilitate the sale transaction last year.

“However, preliminary investigations found that the land involved in the transaction belonged to another individual and had never been offered for sale,” the source said.

All four male suspects, aged between their 30s and 60s, were arrested between 4pm and 8pm yesterday (Aug 19) when they appeared to give statements at the MACC Keningau office.

MACC Sabah director Datuk Mohd Fuad Bee Basrah, when contacted, confirmed the arrest of all the individuals to assist further investigations.

He said the case was being investigated under Sections 17 and 18 of the MACC Act 2009. — Bernama

Related Articles

 

You May Also Like