KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 18 — Police arrested two men believed to be involved in a syndicate storing and distributing contraband cigarettes, with items worth RM1.66 million seized during Ops Taring Alpha 1 in the Klang Valley yesterday.
Bukit Aman Internal Security and Public Order Department’s Wildlife Crime Bureau/Special Intelligence Investigations (WCB/PSK) commander Datuk Mohd Zaki Ashar said the two men, aged 19 and 30, who worked as a delivery driver and a storekeeper, were detained in Desa Petaling here.
He said initial investigations found the suspects had been active in the syndicate for six and nine months, respectively.
“In the operation conducted between 12pm and 1.30pm, police also raided a premises in Putra Heights, Subang Jaya, Selangor, believed to be used as a temporary storage facility for unpaid duty cigarettes before distribution around Kuala Lumpur.
“In total, we seized 2,115 cartons of various brands of suspected unpaid duty cigarettes, along with two vehicles and five mobile phones believed to be connected to the illegal activities,” he said in a statement today.
Mohd Zaki said the value of the seized cigarettes and goods was RM1,499,852, while the total value of all seizures, including related assets, was RM1,661,352.
He added that both suspects were detained to assist investigations under Section 135(1)(d) of the Customs Act 1967. The suspects and seized items were handed over to investigating officers for further action.
Meanwhile, he said that from Jan 1 until today, the bureau carried out 240 raids nationwide and arrested 413 individuals for various offences related to contraband smuggling. Total seizures were estimated at RM314.19 million. — Bernama
You May Also Like