SEREMBAN, Aug 18 — The High Court today set Aug 24 for its decision on an originating summons filed by the Negeri Sembilan state government seeking an immediate eviction order for the official halls and residences of the Undang Rembau and Undang Sungei Ujong.
Judge Roz Mawar Rozain set the date after hearing submissions from the state government’s counsel Muhammad Hariz Md Yusoff, and lawyers Choo Shi Jin and Asmawi Ismail, representing Abdul Rahim Yasin and Datuk Mubarak Thahak, respectively.
“The court sets Aug 24 for the decision at 4pm via Zoom,” said the judge.
The Negeri Sembilan state government filed separate originating summonses against Abdul Rahim and Mubarak on 16 and 17 July, respectively.
Besides Abdul Rahim and Mubarak, other respondents named include occupants or individuals residing at the official halls and residences of Undang Rembau and Undang Sungei Ujong.
The state government, as the owner of the premises, is seeking an order affirming its right to vacant possession of all four premises, as well as a declaration that the respondents and any other occupants still residing there are trespassers without legal right, licence, or permission from the applicant.
The state government is also seeking an order for all respondents to immediately move and hand over vacant possession of the premises.
Earlier, Muhammad Hariz argued that the state government has locus standi (legal standing) to file the summons under Section 22(1) of the Government Proceedings Act, read together with Sections 5, 16(1)(c), and 40 of the National Land Code.
“The applicant is the Negeri Sembilan state government, the lawful owner and authority over the premises, which have been gazetted as public reserve land under Section 62 of the National Land Code,” he said.
He said eviction notices were served on April 29 and June 29, but the respondents are still occupying the premises.
Muhammad Hariz said Abdul Rahim occupies the official hall and residence of Undang Rembau based on prior permission or licence granted in his capacity as the Undang Luak Rembau.
He said an official notice from the Dewan Keadilan dan Undang (DKU) dated Aug 1, 2026, had finalised the position regarding the rightful holder of the Undang Luak Rembau title.
“To date, the applicant has been unable to access the government premises for nearly 50 days,” he said.
He was assisted by Negeri Sembilan state legal advisor Ala’uddin Baharom and lawyer Ahmad Khalil Md Rofiee.
Meanwhile, Choo objected to the originating summons, arguing that the applicant was not the proper party to bring the action.
He pointed out that control and administration of state land vests in the state director of Lands and Mines, not the state government.
“Even in the applicant’s own case, no right of possession is vested in the applicant, as the said premises are unalienated state land with no registered proprietor at all.
“The care and maintenance of the said reserve, according to the applicant’s own gazette notifications, vests in the district officer of Rembau, and not the applicant,” he said.
Asmawi, adopting Choo’s arguments, also contended that the state government lacks locus standi to file the originating summons.
Previously, Mubarak was reported to have been stripped of his position as the Undang Luak Sungei Ujong. — Bernama
You May Also Like