PETALING JAYA, Feb 17 — Police will roll out their elite squads to wipe out gangsters involved in drug wars under Ops Cantas.
The force was also checking on entertainment outlets frequented by gang members as a meeting point and also rented houses where they are known to stay.
The turf war between Gang 24 and Gang 26 has so far resulted in the death of two in Teluk Panglima Garang, Klang, as the Special Task Force for Anti-Vice, Gaming and Gangsterism, Special Task Force on Organised Crime and Special Tactical Intelligence Narcotics Group get mobilised to bust the criminals.
The series of fights raised unease among residents as police were compiling a list of suspect gangsters terrorising Klang and Banting.
Several police officers from the criminal investigation department are currently engaged in underground intelligence work on the operations of the gangs.
So far 11 men are in detention as police try to quell hostilities that have escalated beyond expectations.
South Klang police chief ACP Kamarul Zaman Mamat said two roadblocks yesterday midnight in Taman Sentosa and Kampung Jawa were manned by 80 officers.
“We checked 78 people. Two were arrested but they were not related to the ongoing turf war,” he said.
Kamarul said police also raided homes believed to be the residences of gangsters.
“We also checked entertainment centres in areas which we believe were meeting places for gang members,” he said.
However, the two roadblocks yielded no arrests.
“We will continue with roadblocks and follow-up raids in keeping with our intelligence,” he said.
“The situation here is under control. We have received help from the state and federal police to oversee the roadblocks and checks.