KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 — The missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has yet to be located, MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.
In a 9.05am statement posted on MAS’ Facebook page, Jauhari confirmed that the national carrier is working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the Boeing B777-200 aircraft.
He said MAS is currently contacting the next-of-kin of the plane’s 227 passengers and 12 crew members.
“Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilise its full support.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members,” he said, adding that MAS deeply regrets the incident.
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports are saying that the Beijing-bound flight was forced to make an emergency landing at Nanning in China.
According to an unconfirmed report on the Sydney Morning Herald, a flight tracking website said the plane plunged more than 200 metres and was forced to change its course in the last minute before it transmitted data to ground control.
MAS will be holding a press conference at the Sama-Sama Hotel in Sepang at 10am.
In a statement earlier this morning, MAS confirmed that flight MH370 lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am.
The B777-200 aircraft took off from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at 12.41am this morning and was due to land in Beijing at 6.30am.
It was carrying 227 passengers including two infants and a total of 12 crew members.
“Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft,” the statement said.
The airline added that it will provide regular updates on the situation. The public can contact +60378841234 for further information.