US says denuclearisation talks ongoing with North Korea

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un shakes hands with the former CIA director, now US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo in Pyongyang over the 2018 Easter weekend. — AFP pic
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un shakes hands with the former CIA director, now US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo in Pyongyang over the 2018 Easter weekend. — AFP pic

WASHINGTON, Sept 15 — Talks with North Korea are ongoing over the country’s potential denuclearisation, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said yesterday, despite the appearance that discussions had stalled.

“We are still continuing to have many conversations with the DPRK about how to effectuate achieving all the commitments that were made during the Singapore summit,” Pompeo told journalists.

At a landmark meeting June 12 with US President Donald Trump, North Korea’s Kim Jong-un pledged to denuclearise the Korean peninsula.

However, no details were agreed, and Washington and Pyongyang have sparred since over what that means and how it will be achieved.

Last month, Trump abruptly canceled a planned visit by Pompeo to Pyongyang.

But new ground appears to have been broken, as the White House talks of a possible second summit with the US president.

Top US diplomat Pompeo yesterday said the United States is “as committed as ever to continuing to enforce those UN Security Council resolutions.”

“We believe they are central to President Trump’s efforts to convince Chairman Kim that full, final denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula is necessary.” — AFP

Related Articles