KUALA LUMPUR, April 17 — Incumbent Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai joined residents today to press Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Mansor to explain why five acres of recreational land in Taman Cantik here have been earmarked for development.
Tan alleged that the plot behind Cantik Apartment in Taman Cantik was surreptitiously gazetted for redevelopment last month without the public being properly informed.
Residents only learned of the development after some saw a notice posted near the apartment, he said.
“He (Tengku Adnan) is using the excuse of providing affordable homes to the people to justify the land grab, but we know most houses sold are expensive and only a small fraction are reasonably priced.
“I want him and the Land Office to explain why the need to bulldoze such a move that was approved on March 12 before being published in the Federal Gazette without the knowledge of anyone,” he said at a press conference today.He said the gazette also did not limit the developer to affordable housing, as it may also build commercial and mixed development property there.
Tan then accused the Federal Territories Ministry headed by Tengku Adnan of being ignorant in the move, saying it would harm public interest and residents’ way of life.
According to the Tan, he asked residents to locate additional copies of the development notice, but none could be found.
He said he contacted Kuala Lumpur City Hall after the matter was brought to his attention, and claimed that the local authority confirmed the notice’s authenticity and that the gazette was published on April 6, just ahead of Parliament’s dissolution.
“This notice was posted in a secluded area where not many pass through and no other copies were available. Why the secrecy?” he said.
Tan insisted the project would harm the quality of life in the area due to an increased risk of flooding, more traffic and added pollution.
About 50 residents from neighbourhoods in Taman Cantik, Bukit Ria and Taman Pertama were also present today to sign a petition objecting to the reclassification.
Tan also formed a committee comprising representatives from each affected neighbourhood to deliver the objection to the Lands and Mines Office tomorrow morning.
“We have the right to demand what is best for us as stakeholders of the city and to live in an environment with basic amenities as we are all entitled to.
“We strongly oppose their intention to rob and dismantle our recreation hub for the sake of enriching private developers,” he said.