No projects approved since dissolution for GE14, says Azmin

Datuk Seri Azmin Ali speaks to reporters after the groundbreaking ceremony for Rumah Selangorku Idaman PKNS at Kampung Seri Temenggung in Selayang April 17, 2018. — Picture by Hari Anggara
Datuk Seri Azmin Ali speaks to reporters after the groundbreaking ceremony for Rumah Selangorku Idaman PKNS at Kampung Seri Temenggung in Selayang April 17, 2018. — Picture by Hari Anggara

SELAYANG, April 17 — Caretaker Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali clarified today that he has not approved any project to be developed or funds to be given out since the dissolution of Parliament and the state legislature, contrary to what some news reports have claimed.

He added that projects that were recently launched after the dissolution were those approved beforehand.

Azmin said this in response to reports by an online portal as well as a Malay daily that alleged the state’s development body Perbadanan Kemajuan Negeri Selangor (PKNS) was no longer on track with its raison d’être.

“As a caretaker government, I don’t give out any more approvals. Projects such as the one being launched today was approved prior to the dissolution of Parliament and the state assembly, with buyers registering their interest as early as 2015.

“However, there were certain terms and conditions from the Selayang Municipal Council that PKNS had to comply with. Last year, PKNS was proactive and discussed with the Selayang Municipal Council to find out more regarding those conditions so that this project could have its groundbreaking ceremony today,” he said.

On April 14, news portal MalaysiaKini reported that Azmin had disbursed cash, laptops, iPads and over RM2 million worth of goodies at the Bukit Antarabangsa state constituency and Gombak federal constituency.

Azmin’s strategic communications director Yin Shao Loong rebutted and corrected the article, saying that all spending was above board, and that it had been approved prior to the dissolution.

Furthermore, Yin also said in a press statement that the RM2.24 million figure quoted by the portal was more than double the actual total value of aid disbursed at all four events that only amounted to RM967,150.

Azmin also said today that PKNS is still on track with its project developments, unlike the allegations made by a Malay daily which stated that the state agency has forgotten its founding policy to focus on the state’s socio-economic development.

“For the record, up till today, PKNS has successfully developed 11 new townships with more than 100,000 homes. We have developed 41 per cent low-cost homes and 46 per cent medium-cost homes.

“In total, we have developed 87 per cent affordable homes for the middle income group and lower, with only 13 per cent high-value homes for the purpose of cross subsidisation. PKNS has also subsidised RM96 million at the Bukit Botak,” said Azmin.

Later, Azmin also told reporters that the suit by Splash against Air Selangor had nothing to do with the state administration and will not have any effect on the state financial reserves, contrary to claims made by the Barisan Nasional coalition.

“This shows that they do not have anyone who understands state economic or financial management. The one that is being sued is Air Selangor, not the state government, so there is no connection between the state’s consolidated funds or reserves,” he said.

“Splash is suing Air Selangor. Of course Air Selangor will defend itself in court but it has nothing to do with the state funds,” Azmin said.

Last week, Petaling Jaya Utara MCA chairman Tan Gim Tuan asked in a statement if Selangor was on the verge of bankruptcy with the suit by Splash against Air Selangor.

Related Articles