PPBM abides by RoS ruling, will contest GE14 as independent candidates

Dr Mahathir said PPBM will contest as independent candidates using PKR’s ticket. — Picture by Firdaus Latif
Dr Mahathir said PPBM will contest as independent candidates using PKR’s ticket. — Picture by Firdaus Latif

PETALING JAYA, April 10 — Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the party will abide by the temporary dissolution by the Registrar of Societies (RoS).

Dr Mahathir said PPBM’s members will not be contesting under the party in the 14th general election (GE14), but as independent candidates using PKR’s ticket.

“We respect RoS and will abide by the conditions imposed on PPBM,” he told a press conference here.

“But we have the right as citizens to contest as independents and with the consent of PKR, we will be using their logo. This will not prevent us from being involved in the general election.”

The RoS provisionally deregistered PPBM on April 5 and gave the party 30 days to comply with previous directives for it to furnish the agency with the necessary paperwork.

PPBM sued the agency shortly after, but has since withdrawn the lawsuit.

After the RoS announced its decision last week, Dr Mahathir maintained that PPBM members would still contest 52 federal seats in the peninsula under another party’s logo.

He confirmed last week that all Pakatan Harapan candidates will contest the general election using PKR’s logo.

Related Articles