KUALA LUMPUR, April 10 ― DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng asked Putrajaya today to explain why it listed 22,534 households as eligible for a RM250 aid payment when only 3,085 were affected by floods in the state.
In a letter to Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim, currently a caretaker minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, Lim pointed out that the lower figure was the official number recorded by both the state and the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA).
“Given the significant difference in the number of beneficiaries approved by the federal government as compared to the amount submitted by the state government to NADMA Malaysia on 20 November 2017 of 3,085, and payment by the RM700 state government to 55,353 households, the state government must be informed why 22,534 households will be given the RM250 aid payment,” said Lim.
“If there are more than 3,085 eligible households to receive the flood assistance of RM250; even as many as 22,534, then why not approve all 55,353 households?
He also urged Shahidan to consider increasing the payment to RM500, saying that it was unfair for flood victims in other states to receive double the amount allocated for Penang victims.
Shahidan told Parliament last month that Putrajaya paid out flood aid totaling RM5.6 million to 22,534 households in mid-March from the Tabung Kumpulan Wang Amanah Bantuan Bencana Negara (KWABBN).
The aid is for those affected by floods in all of 2017.