IPOH, Feb 15 — Police have so far recorded six statements on the arson case which left five vehicles charred in a Road Transport Department (RTD) compound on February 6.
Kuala Kangsar police chief Asstant Commissioner Ahmad Termizi Abdul Haq said this included RTD personnel and members of the public, but refuse to divulge further information on the identities of those questioned.
Ahmad Termizi gave the update to reporters during the launching ceremony for the contingent's 95 new Motorcycle Patrol Unit(URB) motorcycles and four off-road vehicles here today.
“We have not made any arrests yet, but we do have some leads on the investigation. The priority now is tracing the suspects and we are working hard to do this,” he said.
“In this digital era, perpetrators nowadays are clever. When their actions receive widespread attention they are prepared for it. But we are not sitting quietly either.”
Ahmad Termizi added that police were yet to receive a full report from the Fire and Rescue Department(FRD) on the incident.
Police, he said, still believed that the fire had been sparked by a handful of individuals who were angered by enforcement operations conducted by the state and district RTD around Kuala Kangsar.
The perpetrators are believed to have entered the compound through a hole in the fence, near the place where the cars were set ablaze.
Altogether, the 2.30am fire destroyed five vehicles, including two of the RTD's brand new Toyota Fortuners and a Ford Ranger.
All three vehicles were 90 per cent destroyed, while another two Volvos seized by the department were 70 per cent burnt in the fire.
On Feb 9, the Fire and Rescue Department found traces of accelerant in six samples collected from Kuala Kangsar RTD parking compound.