Perak CPO insists criminal cops an isolated problem

Perak police chief Datuk Hasnan Hassan (third right) at the launching ceremony for the contingent’s 95 new Motorcycle Patrol Unit (URB) motorcycles in Ipoh February 15, 2018. — Picture by Loghun Kumaran
Perak police chief Datuk Hasnan Hassan (third right) at the launching ceremony for the contingent’s 95 new Motorcycle Patrol Unit (URB) motorcycles in Ipoh February 15, 2018. — Picture by Loghun Kumaran

IPOH, Feb 15 —Two high-profile criminal cases allegedly involving Perak police officers were not indicative of a more extensive problem within the force, said state police chief Datuk Hasnan Hassan.

Hasnan was referring to a molest case allegedly involving a Parit constable earlier this week and an armed robbery purportedly by three policemen last December.

“These are isolated cases. There are over 10,000 policemen in Perak and there are only two cases like these,” Hasnan told a press conference here after attending a launching ceremony for the contingent’s 95 new Motorcycle Patrol Unit (URB) motorcycles and four off-road vehicles today.

“Having said that, there is no mercy for policemen who are involved in crime.”

Hasnan gave his assurance that any policemen found to commit offences would be disciplined and charged in court if necessary .

The first case made national headlines in last year, when three policemen here were arrested for allegedly robbing a local family at around 2am on Dec 27.

The trio comprising an inspector and two lance-corporals were believed to be part of a six-man gang who robbed the family in Kampung Rapat here of RM12,300 in cash.

On Monday, an off-duty police constable was arrested for allegedly molesting a 20-year-old woman as well as extorting her and her boyfriend.

On a separate matter, Hasnan said 2,500 policemen would be deployed for Ops Selamat in Perak, which will run from Feb 9 to Feb 23.

Besides advising motorists to be careful on the roads, Hasnan also urged the public to inform local police if they left their homes for the holidays.

“This allows us to tailor our patrols accordingly. In the five days of Ops Selamat, we have received 54 such reports and no house break-ins were recorded,” he said.

Related Articles

Up Next

Loading...